For several years researchers and many others have been disputing the benefits of Fluoride. While just about every Utah dentist will recommend using fluoride for toothpastes and mouthwashes to aid in the preventing and treating of tooth decay, others feel that fluoride is toxic and should not be used. Here are some fluoride facts you need to be aware of that will help you to understand the benefits of it and why your Sunset dentist may recommend additional fluoride treatments:
- 1. Fluoride is natural and it is found in the air we breathe and the water we drink.
- 2. Many communities have added fluoride to the water because studies have shown that children that grew up drinking fluoridated water have less cavities and tooth decay issues.
- 3. Frequent exposure to fluoride can allow patients to remain cavity free or at least reduce the risk of tooth decay.
- 4. Families with soft teeth enamel and high risks of tooth decay will benefits greatly from using additional fluoride treatments.
- 5. Fluoride helps to strengthen the enamel of your teeth and can reverse the effects of tooth decay.
Once a tooth has erupted above the gum line it is at risk for tooth decay. This is why you need to start cleaning your children’s teeth at the age of 6 months or younger. By the age of 2 most Dentists would like to look at the teeth in order to see that proper teeth cleaning habits are being practiced and by the age of 3-4, they may be able to detect cavities.
The use of fluoride will be able to protect teeth and can help you keep your permanent teeth. It will control the risk of cavities by decreasing the amount of bacteria found in the mouth. Always make sure you are brushing with ADA approved toothpaste and one that has fluoride.
For more information about fluoride treatments, contact Sunset Dental office today!