Many factors in life can cause people of all ages to lose their teeth. Some may decay over time, they may get knocked out while playing a sport, or they may become infected and need to be removed to protect the rest of your teeth. No matter the cause of tooth loss, dental bridges can help close the gap between your missing teeth to give you the perfect smile. Bridges can help improve your overall health and give you a higher quality of life.
There are a few different options for dental bridges that can be used on unique patients. Our dental team at Sunset Dental can install any of these options on patients’ teeth. These bridges can also be made from different materials. Depending on your circumstance bridges can be made to look identical to natural teeth.
Types Of Dental Bridges
Every dental patient has unique needs, which is why there are a few different options for bridges that can help make up for missing or lost teeth.
- Traditional bridges: Traditional dental bridges are the most common type. They include a false tooth that is held in place by placing a crown on the adjacent natural teeth. Some enamel will need to be removed from the remaining teeth for the false tooth to fit snuggly.
- Cantilever bridges: This bridge is similar to a traditional bridge, but the new tooth is only supported by one crown on one adjacent tooth. If a patient only has one solid natural tooth where a crown can be applied, dentists will use this option.
- Maryland bridges: Also known as resin-bonded bridges, Mayland dental bridges are held in place by a metal or resin framework. The replacement tooth is placed in between natural teeth, a coating is then placed on the back of all these teeth (similar to a permanent retainer) to help ensure a strong bond. This does not require as much enamel removal as other bridges.
- Implant-supported bridges: Often an implant is needed to bridge the gap in your teeth. The implant is placed in the jawbone and a bridge is attached to this implant that contains other false teeth. Implant-supported bridges are the most durable because they do not rely on other natural teeth.
How To Care And Protect Your New Dental Bridge
After any dental procedure, you should keep up with your normal oral hygiene routine. Brushing and flossing are essential to keeping the natural teeth you do have, as well as ensuring that your dental bridges stay durable. Patients should also schedule annual dental cleanings to remove plaque build-up and reduce the risk of cavities.
A bridge may take a little while to get used to, especially if your surrounding teeth need to be shaved down in order to make the fake tooth fit snuggly, or if you have had an implant installed. After a few days, your bridge will start to feel more normal.
Some discomfort while chewing may arise, but over time the bridge will feel like natural teeth and improve your overall oral function. It is best to eat soft foods for the first few days after a dental procedure. You should also avoid smoking and drinking alcohol until your mouth is fully healed. This will help you avoid infections that can cause further pain.
The Benefits Of Dental Bridges
Once your teeth and bridge are fully healed, you will be able to enjoy your favorite foods and talk normally again. Patients who have dental bridges installed will experience less overall discomfort and can save their other teeth from decay. This will give you increased confidence in your smile while also keeping you from having gingivitis, oral thrush, and cavities.
Additional benefits of dental bridges include:
- Prevent facial asymmetry
- Improved speech
- Distribution of bite force
- Aesthetic appeal
- Nonsurgical procedure
- Minimal maintenance
Additional Procedures From Sunset Dental
Our team at Sunset Dental offers many dental procedures that can help improve your health. Your smile is an important part of your look and your teeth are important to your quality of life. We want to serve our community of residents in Sunset, UT, and improve their oral health. We know how important it is to have a dentist that you trust and can get into quickly. All of our returning clients come first.
Our dentists and hygienists can perform dental cleanings, install implants, fill cavities, or extract wisdom teeth. Don’t let missing teeth ruin your smile or self-confidence, let Sunset Dental install dental bridges. You don’t have to suffer with missing teeth any longer, set up an appointment with our experts at Sunset Dental.